Monday, October 11, 2010

The Hidden Gem (at least it was to me) that is The Fix Burger

Dinner at the Fix Burger

When it comes to gourmet burgers in LA, I've had my share of some truly tasty ones from Father's Office to Umami Burgers to even an off menu burger from Jitlada. All these aforementioned places are already well-known in LA, so it was nice when my friend, Mary, introduced me to a burger place that's a little more under the radar; yet, served some pretty darn good burgers. I'm talking about The Fix Burger in the Silver Lake neighborhood.

While the Fix has more traditional burgers as well as create your own burger options, they also have Specialty Burgers where you can specify the meat. Your patty choices include beef, buffalo, turkey as well as a vegetarian option. Unfortunately, they used to carry ostrich, but aren't doing so at the moment due to supply issues. What's really cool about the Fix is that all their meats are organic and come from local ranches.

From the Specialty Burger choices, my friend went for the Rodeo Burger with bacon, onion rings, bbq sauce, mayo and cheddar, which she enjoyed immensely. Once you look at the picture below, you'll see why. The Fix wasn't shy about their ingredients.

More ...

Dinner at the Fix Burger

For me, it was all about the Seoul Burger with mushrooms, Korean sauce, Korean slaw, jack and mayo. I opted for the buffalo burger and I have to admit that the buffalo meat surprised me, but in a good way. Knowing that buffalo tends to be leaner, I wasn't expecting my burger to be that juicy. Boy, was I wrong. That meat was definitely napkin-wiping juicy and I also liked how the meat's surface had a nice grilled char to it. Also, all the other ingredients went well together flavor-wise and in general, I enjoyed that burger bite by bite.

However, there were a couple of things that could have improved that burger even more, in my opinion. First, it needed some heat. Perhaps, it wasn't meant to be a spicy burger, but if either the Korean slaw and/or the Korean sauce was amped with chili and garlic, this Seoul Burger would seem even more like a "Seoul" burger. Second, the bun didn't hold as well as it could have been. Towards the tail end of eating my burger, the bread was getting a little too soggy for my taste.

Dinner at the Fix Burger

Along with burgers and other sandwiches, the Fix also had a variety of sides to choose from. My friend and I shared their Homemade Onion Rings and Garlic Fries. I really enjoyed both of them. What I liked about their onion rings is they weren't greasy and that spices were added to the batter to give them some flavor. I tasted some black pepper and a hint of rosemary.

Dinner at the Fix Burger

Their garlic fries were unlike anything I've had before. Usually, you get fried bits of garlic with your garlic fries, but the Fix does something completely different. Their garlic fries are topped with roasted salty/sweet chunks of garlic, so you get a two texture eating experience. First, there's the crispness of the fries and then there's the soft texture of the roasted garlic. I was definitely "fix"ated on those fries.

Dinner at the Fix Burger

Overall, I really enjoyed my meal at the Fix. Even now, the memory of that juicy buffalo burger still lingers and I am looking forward to a return trip so that I can try some of the other burgers on their menu. I've also heard really good things about their shakes, so a peanut butter shake may be in my imminent future as well. So the next time you're in the Silver Lake area, get a "Fix" on The Fix Burger and you just might find a new favorite burger joint.

The Fix Burger
2520 Hyperion Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 661-8494
Fix on Urbanspoon

^

3 comments:

Gastronomer said...

Abby, this place looks BEASTLY good! Burger + onion rings + PB shake = heaven.

pleasurepalate said...

I'm amazed that it hasn't been written about more. My friend told me that it's a popular neighborhood hangout, but yes, burger, onion rings and PB shake would be heaven.

Andi? said...

This looks so good. I will definitely have to try it some time.