Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pizza Pleasure at Pitfire Pizza

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

I just love alliteration. My blog name is certainly a good example of that, so of course, I couldn't resist stringing 4 "P" words for this blog title. All fun aside, I really did enjoy my pizza lunch at Pitfire as I have at other times including a Pizza and Wine Pairing and a Pizza Making Party that I did a few years back at their downtown Los Angeles location.

More ...

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

I've also visited their North Hollywood location, but this time around, it was all about their restaurant in Culver City, which by the way, is a beautiful space  with a lovely red pizza oven and even some fun wall art.

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza
Lunch at Pitfire Pizza
Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

I also enjoy an open kitchen which gives you a chance to see the chefs hard at work, like the one below who was doing his pizza thing.

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza
Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

As for the food, well, I started my meal first with a refreshing and fruity red wine sangria.

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

Then the first of two pizzas that my friend and I ordered arrived. That first pie was called the White Pie with creamy ricotta, mozzarella, red onion, Parmesan, torn basil and Mama Lil’s pickled peppers.  As soon as it hit the table, I did have one issue with it.

Namely, Pitfire didn't really do a good distribution of the ingredients. All you have to do is look at the picture below to see that the peppers and the basil were pretty much on one side of the pizza. If I wanted a slice of cheese pizza, I would have ordered it. All that aside, when I did bite into a slice that had all the ingredients on it, I definitely appreciated the slight vinegary tang of the peppers along with the peppery-sweet notes of the basil.

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

Our second pizza was playfully named Greens, Egg and Ham Pizza with braised rapini, a farm egg and Zoe’s natural prosciutto. I'm a sucker for yolky egg on a pizza.  Heck, I'm a sucker for yolky eggs on almost all foods from enchiladas to hamburgers to hot dogs. 

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

That yolk rounded the bitterness of the rapini and the saltiness of the prosciutto for a pizza so that the strong flavors of those two ingredients didn't overpower each other too much. All the flavors balanced out well and made for a delicious pie.  By the way, I wanted to briefly mention the crust.  It has a crispy-chewiness to it. The first bite through the exterior part of the crust has a small crunch, but the inside of the crust has a slight chewy texture to it. I prefer more of a thin cracker-crispy crust, but that didn't stop me from enjoying both pizzas.

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

Following the two pizzas came dessert in the form of the Pitfire Smothered Cookie which was a chocolate chip cookie with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.  You really can't go wrong with a soft warm cookie smothered with all that goodness, so it was a nice way to end the meal.

Lunch at Pitfire Pizza

Overall, I've never been disappointed with Pitfire's pizza offerings and what I like is that no matter which location I've been to, there's a really nice consistency with the food,. Basically, that  means a good meal at Pitfire is always the norm and not the exception. If you get a chance, drop in one of their locations, which also includes Downtown Los Angeles, West LA and North Hollywood. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Pitfire Pizza
12924 W Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(213) 258-5956
Pitfire Artisan Pizza on Urbanspoon

^

No comments: