Monday, November 13, 2006

Dinner at the Oinkster

I finally checked out Oinkster and while I really, really wanted to like it, I was very disappointed. I ordered the regular combo which consisted of the bbq pork sandwich, regular fries and a soft drink. To add to my order, I also got a side of red cabbage slaw and a peanut butter and jelly cupcake. The only thing I really liked was the peanut butter and jelly cupcake.


First, my bbq pulled pork sandwich was a bust! There was more red cabbage slaw and onions than actual pork. While the pork was reasonably moist, it had no flavor. They also didn't add the bbq sauce to the sandwich and when I got some in a little cup to add to the sandwich myself, the bbq sauce was so watery that I decided to forget about it.

The Belgian fries weren't crispy enough. It's almost as if they fried it only once and not twice which is the standard way of cooking Belgian French Fries. They reminded me of In-N-Out Fries and that's not to say that I don't like In-N-Out Fries, but for something that's touting itself to be Belgian French Fries, that's what I should have gotten.

This red slaw was too vinegary and had too strong a flavor that I couldn't identify until my friend mentioned that they added too much celery seed.


As for the peanut butter cupcake, while I would have liked the frosting to be a bit creamier, the flavor was good and plus I loved the fact that there was grape jelly inside.

Overall, I won't be making my way back to The Oinkster anytime soon.

To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157594320875945/

The Oinkster
2005 Colorado Blvd.
Eagle Rock, CA
323-255-oink
http://www.oinkster.com/

No comments: