Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Lunch at Atlacatl

Lunch at Atlacatl

After taking part in a Metro Art Tour, I had lunch with my dining group at Atlacatl, an El Salvadorean restaurant and it was really hit and miss for me. Actually, it was more miss than anything else. Most of the group ordered family-style primarily from the snacks section of the menu so that we could sample multiple items.

Of the 9 different items that we picked from the menu, 1 was great, 2 were okay and everything else I probably would never order again. In fact, it's highly unlikely, I'll ever go back to Atlacatl again. The one item I enjoyed a lot was their deep fried pork turnovers, which were golden brown on the outside with tasty and juicy pork in the inside. But then how could anyone possibly go wrong with deep-fried food.

Lunch at Atlacatl

Of the two pupusas we ordered, I preferred the one that had bean, cheese, loroco and pork. I wasn't necessarily wowed by it, but at least, it had more flavor than the other pupusa we ordered.  I don't know what it is with me and pupusas. I have a feeling it's just not one of my favorite foods. I've tried pupusas at a couple other restaurants, but they never really wow me that much.

Lunch at Atlacatl

As for items that I didn't like, the two tamales we ordered didn't do it for me at all. The consistency of the masa was very spongy and it reminded me of that bread you eat with Ethiopian food. That bread is fine with Ethiopian food, but for tamales, definitely not for me.

Lunch at Atlacatl

A couple of the items also seemed overly sweet to me like their milk pies and their sweet fried plantains. With the sweet plantains, eating it with the sour cream and beans cut down that sweetness a bit, but I just didn't care for the mix of flavors that much.

Lunch at Atlacatl

Overall, I wouldn't make a return trip to Atlacatl anytime soon. I'm hoping that it's just the quality and flavors of the food at Atlacatl in particular that's unappealing and that I'll have a more positive and delicious experience of Salvordean cuisine elsewhere.

Atlacatl
301 N Berendo St
Los Angeles, CA, 90004
323-663-1404

No comments: