Friday, May 25, 2007

Zorba Chicken

Looking for a quick lunch while in Pasadena one day, I came across Zorba Chicken and decided to check it out. With a name like Zorba Chicken, of course, I opted to try their chicken that came with pita bread, a garlic sauce, which was more like a paste, hummus and pickled veggies plus I ordered a tabbouleh salad on the side.


I tried the tabbouleh salad first and was a little disappointed. It was lacking a tartness that I normally look for in this type of dish but overall, it tasted fresh and was a nice starter.

Then it came time to try out the chicken. Looking at it, I would have liked a crispier skin plus it looked kind of bland. It was obvious that other than probably a little salt, it lacked spices or a marinade. By the appearance alone, it needed
something.

As for the chicken itself, I found it pretty tender and moist and considering that breast meat can lean towards dry, I was happily surprised that this chicken was not tasting like the Sahara desert. However, having a palate that likes big flavors, this chicken was boring.


When I tore pieces of the chicken, put it in my bread and added either the garlic paste, the hummus and/or the tabbouleh, finally, it became more of an enjoyable meal, but man, I had to work hard for it. Who wants to work that hard for a meal? But at least, it
was hearty and my hunger pangs were taken care of. Sometimes that's all you can ask for.

Considering that that there are other lunch options in the area, I doubt I'd go back to Zorba Chicken anytime soon, but at least for my meal there, I was fairly content.


To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157600262722483/

Zorba Chicken
3621 East Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91102
(626) 351-9200

No comments: