Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bulgarini Gelato

If you're looking for gelato so heavenly that it's almost sinful than the place to go is Bulgarini Gelato in the hilly city of Altadena. From the first spoonful, you can already feel the rich creaminess of this sweet icy treat as it glides smoothly onto your tongue and down your throat.

But what makes this gelato a cut above the rest is the burst of flavors that trip the light fantastic along your tastebuds no matter which one you order.

While I was there, I sampled three different kinds. The first was Cantaloupe which apparently is spiked with Tanqueray gin. According to a LA Times article I read, the owner does this because it's suppose to add an extra depth of flavor. He definitely knows what he's talking about because when I had my first spoonful, it felt like I just took a bite of an actual cantaloupe. It was a little surreal to look down at my spoon after that first taste and not see a bowl of fresh-cut melons in front of me. From the cantaloupe, I went to the Honeydew gelato and again, I experienced that same sensation of eating fresh melons.

After my melon feast, I went on to the last layer in my bowl, which was the Pistachio gelato. If you love pistachios, this gelato will blow your mind. In reading up about how Bulgarini makes their pistachio gelato, I found out that the nuts are toasted in the oven, then crushed in an old-fashioned peanut butter grinder and than mixed in with the gelato.

With every lick of your spoon, with every mouthful, those pistachios really make their presence known. You don't have to look for them unlike other pistachio ice creams I've had in the past. One bite and boom, the flavors are just there for you to experience.

The little city of Altadena may seem out of the way for many of you, but if you're a gelato fan, than believe me, it's worth the trek to Bulgarini. You absolutely won't regret it.

Bulgarini Gelato
749 E Altadena Dr.
Altadena, CA 91001
(626) 441-2319

No comments: