Sunday, August 31, 2008

Too Much is Sometimes Too Much at T Burgers

Awhile back, I decided to check out T Burgers in Monrovia. Although I heard good things about their burgers, for my first visit, I decided that a BLT with avocado, when paired with onion rings, was my idea of the perfect lunch. So I placed my order and when I heard my number called, I happily walked up to the counter to pick it up. However, when I first laid eyes on it, I thought that perhaps I forgot to bring a friend with me because it was certainly big enough to feed both of us.

But no, it was just me, so I took that substantial sandwich and sat down for my meal.
Looking at it, I wasn't quite sure where to start, so I ate an onion ring or two while I planned my eating strategy. By the way, the onion rings were quite good. Crispy and crunchy, without being oily. But I still had that BLT in front me, waiting to be eaten. Finally, I just decided to go for it. I definitely knew that you can't really take one big bite out of that sandwich so I ended up taking smaller bites, which meant that I wouldn't always get a taste of all 4 ingredients at one time. That was a bit disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

In general, the ingredients tasted really fresh which I couldn't help but appreciate; however, less is sometimes more. I managed to eat my way
through half of the sandwich and had 2-3 bites of the other half, but ended up just picking out the bacon and eating that, leaving everything else behind. There was just too much of everything, but even then, it was still a pretty good sandwich. I was still curious about their hamburgers, so I decided to make a return visit.

My second time around, I went for their Avocado Bacon Cheeseburger. Avocado again, I know, but I just love it. Sometimes, I'll even just cut one in half and eat with a spoon. Yum. Too bad, I don't have one right now. Anyway, I digress, let's get back to the Avocado Bacon Cheeseburger. Given how substantial my BLT was, I had a feeling that my burger was going to be the same and yes, it was. It was huge. I was amazed that they fit all the ingredients that they did. To eat it, you really had to keep the wrapper on and peel it away as you ate it into or else everything was going to pop out onto the table. Just like the BLT, it was all about small bites.

Again, the ingredients were pretty fresh, except for the avocado. It had some browning which wasn't too appealing, so I picked some of it away. I also ended up removing some of the lettuce, just to make for easier eating. As for the hamburger meat itself, I thought it was dry and a tad overcooked. The only moisture it really got was from the avocado.

Overall, I liked the BLT better than the Avocado Cheese, but in both instances, while I appreciated that T Burgers didn't skimp when it came to ingredients, which were the most part really fresh tasting, as I said earlier, less is more. For both sandwiches, I ended up taking out some of the ingredients just so I'd have an easier time eating them and that just seems a waste. However, if bigger is better in your book, than T Burgers will certainly do it for you.


To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157606509232081/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157606505820870/

T Burgers
226 W Foothill Blvd

Monrovia, CA 91016

(626) 357-4844
www.tburgers.com



T Burgers on Urbanspoon

No comments: