Friday, September 21, 2007

Wolfe Burgers

Having driven by Wolfe Burgers for a number of years now, I finally decided to check it out for lunch. Once inside, it took me awhile to order just because the menu had a good bit of variety. Finally, just because I love avocado, I settled for the avocado burger and chili cheese fries.

When my food arrived, I dug into the chili cheese fries first. There were two things I was disappointed in. First, the fries themselves were too mushy. Granted, fries topped with hot chili may lose some of its crispness, but even the fries that were to the outer side of the paper tray were softer than I would have liked. Second, the chili was bland. Not that was I expecting it to be fiery, but some oomph would have been nice.

Now on to the burger. At first glance, it looked impressive. It was served open faced and right away, you can see that they weren't shy about giving you enough avocado. It looked like a whole half of an avocado resting on the cheese.

So than I put it all together, cut it in half to make eating easier and took my first bite. I was very underwhelmed. The burger itself was dry, but what really bugged me was how the avocado kept sliding out of the bun.

The cheese on the burger was a little bit greasy and the avocado was resting on that oil slick. I'd take a bite and some part of the avocado would come out. It was really annoying. Finally, I just removed the avocado and just ate it on its own. As for the burger, I only finished half of it. I didn't like it enough to even finish it all.

To be fair, I've only been there once, so maybe, a different order would make for a tastier meal. But with so many other really great burger joints out there, a repeat visit to Wolfe Burgers won't be happening anytime soon.

To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157602024633353/

Wolfe Burgers
46 N Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101
(626) 792-7292



Wolfe Burgers on Urbanspoon

No comments: