Friday, April 20, 2007

Mami King

Given that Mami King is a Filipino restaurant and I'm a Filipina, I really wanted to be more supportive of my own homefood. Unfortunately, there was too much that I didn't like about my meal there.

First up was the Siomai Mami Soup that started me off. Siomai is basically a ground pork and veggie dumpling and this particular version of the Mami Soup comes with two large ones. The Siomai itself was just okay. I actually found the meat bland. I also didn't like the noodles. They could have been firmer and in fact, I think they were over-cooked.

As for the soup itself, it was just very milky looking. From the Mami Soups I've had in the past, the soup which is chicken broth should be more clear. Maybe, if the Mami King soup tasted out of this world, I might have gotten over the its milky appearance, but honestly, I didn't even taste any chicken in that soup.

With the soup, I had a Bola-Bola Siopao which is filled with steamed ground pork, salted egg, Chinese sausage and Chinese mushroom. This was quite disappointing. While the filling was fairly substantial, it was dry, which meant that you just got more of a not so good thing.

We also ordered a side of deep fried chicken wings, which I didn't think were crispy enough. Granted, there was no breading on this chicken, but the chicken wings I've fried at home. also without breading, were certainly much better than what we got there.

Dessert was Halo-Halo, a mixture of tropical fruits and beans cooked in syrup served with crushed ice, milk and ube ice cream. The Halo-Halo may have at least ended the meal on a sweet note, but alas, it was not meant to be. Usually, the ice served in the Halo-Halo is more shaved, as opposed to crushed. Crunching on small ice particles was not to my liking at all and that definitely downgraded this Halo-Halo for me.

Overall, it was quite a disappointing meal. Perhaps, other Mami King locations, of which there are a few, will yield tastier versions of the dishes I had, but I don't plan on finding out anytime soon.

To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157600000245110/

Mami King
1512 E Amar Rd
West Covina, CA 91792
(626) 912-8668

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was doing my grocery in Island pacific yesterday then i saw Mami King just besides them, so i went in and take a look. I found out that they are serving "Pares" which i been craving for years. So far the food i ordered taste great, but their service are very disappointing. The waitress is not very helpful when im asking about the menu, for some reason i feel like she was rushing me to finished my order. I also observed that she rolls up her eyes on the customer besides me which is somehow very rude. Im a new customer thats why im taking time to decide what else to get aside from Pares. After she finished serving everyone, she goes back on her cellphone and get preoccupied pushing the buttons. While one of the server keeps on repeating the madonna CD which is kinda annoying. I rather take my order for to go, than staying on their place. Over all, i dont recommend this restaurant at all.

pleasurepalate said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. :) By the way, what are pares? I don't think I've ever heard that term before.

I have to tell you that in general, there are much better Filipino restaurants out there than Mami King. Check them out sometime, Alejandro's and Barrio Fiesta both in Eagle Rock and Asian Noodles in Chinatown. :)