Thursday, May 10, 2007

Chang Thai Cuisine

Only open for a few months, I decided to check out Chang Thai Cuisine for lunch one day. Not wanting anything too heavy, I ordered a honeydew slush with boba, noodle soup (unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the soup) and some egg rolls.

The honeydew slush was nice and refreshing and almost quite filling in itself. By the end of the meal, I finished it to the last drop. Out came a complimentary bowl of soup that apparently comes with every meal. I didn't even know why they bothered, it was really bland. Besides, I was looking forward to the soup I ordered.

The egg rolls came next and while I appreciated the fact that they didn't skimp on the fillings, I found the egg rolls dry. The sauce that came with the egg rolls provided the only moisture. Without the sauce, after taking a bite or two of the egg roll by itself, I normally needed a sip of water or my honeydew slush to wash it down.

Finally, my soup came and it looked and smelled good. All the ingredients tasted really fresh. The broth was nice and clear and with no hint of oiliness. At first, I enjoyed the mild flavors of the soup as is, but eventually needed to add some chili to punch it up more because it started tasting a bit bland. Overall, it was a good tasting soup but what bugged me about it was the noodles.

The noodles were flat and square tipped and they were difficult to eat either with a fork or chopsticks. They kept slipping off both utensils. Eating soup should be an easy pleasant experience and not a battle of wits with the noodles. After awhile, the noodles won and I surrendered. They just didn't want to be eaten so for the most part I concentrated on the broth and everything else that came with the soup like the shrimp, fish cake, veggies and ground pork.

In general, I liked my meal there, but I think I'll have to go back and try other items before I can give this restaurant a complete thumbs up!

To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157600130506738/

Chang Thai Cuisine
15622 Arrow Highway
Irwindale, CA 91706
(626) 338-1378

No comments: