Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Introducing Quaker True Delights...

One definite perk of being a Featured Publisher for Foodbuzz, is being able to participate in different programs. One such program that I volunteered for was to be part of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers where members can sometimes get a preview of new food products.

Today, I'm going tell you about a new line of premium granola bars from Quaker Oats referred to as Quaker True Delights. According to the info I received, Quaker True Delights has zero grams trans fat, is cholesterol free and has 3g of fiber. It's sounding "pretty healthy" at this point, but does "healthy" translate to also tasting good? Well, with the use of ingredients like real fruit, whole nuts and dark chocolate, that's definitely a good start. At only 140 calories, that's also a plus in its favor. So let's talk about flavors now, of which they have three.

The first flavor is Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond. If you're a chocoholic, this granola bar is the one for you. Quaker Oats was not shy about spreading the chocolate love around. All you have to do is see the photo above to see that there are good-size chocolate chunks embedded into the bar. I also liked the use of dark chocolate as opposed to milk chocolate because the dark chocolate pairs well with the raspberry. The only thing that I felt this bar needed was more raspberry, because as mentioned, it does compliment the dark chocolate well, so why not have more of it?

Next is the Honey Roasted Cashew Mixed Berry Granola Bar. I can tell you without a doubt that I love cashews and to see large pieces in that bar was a sight for sore eyes. Of the three Quaker True Delights, this bar was my favorite. What I really enjoyed were the how the flavors interplayed with each other. You get the sweet from the honey, the nuttiness from the cashews and the tartness of the berries. I actually wouldn't mind having this in a cookie or dessert bar form.

The final flavor is the Toasted Coconut Banana Macadamia Nut. What I really liked about this bar is that instead of using some kind of artificial banana flavoring, they used dried pieces of banana. For many of you who have tasted any food with artificial banana flavoring, you already know it's not worth the use of your taste buds unless actual bananas are part of the ingredients. I also liked how they used bigger pieces of macadamia nuts for the bar. The only small thing that I think they could have improved upon is their coconut ingredients. While the coconut pieces were generous in size, they needed to taste more coconutty.

Overall, I really enjoyed a preview sampling of the Quaker True Delights and am definitely looking foward to more of the Honey Roasted Cashew Mixed Berry Granola Bars. Yum!

For more info, check out their website below:
http://www.quakertruedelights.com/

7 comments:

EatTravelEat said...

Wow! These granola bars look really "premium"! You really can see the ingredients put into it, and the look of not just the packaging, but the product itself, all look more "higher-end". I want to try one soon!

pleasurepalate said...

ETE: Yes, the granola bars are actually pretty good and usually, I'm not much into granola bars, but I'd definitely buy the honey roasted cashew and mixed berry one. :)

H. C. said...

Ha, I was in this program too -- these bars are better than your run-of-the-mill granola bars, but are still a bit too sugary for me. I think my favorite bar for now is still CLIF's assorted Mojo Bars (which has a sweet and salty taste to it); too bad they're pretty pricey, but I eat them with a fruit for breakfast if I'm on the run.

pleasurepalate said...

H.C. Too sugary for you? You with the sweet tooth? :-P

H. C. said...

Even me with my sweet jaws have a threshold? Which apparently is lower for granola bars than it is for a dark chocolate ganache cake :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sampling Quaker True Delights and providing such a thorough review! Love the pictures.

Candace from Quaker

pleasurepalate said...

Candace: Thanks for stopping by! :) Hope these granola bars do well.