Friday, June 19, 2009

Already Planning a Return Trip to Natalie Peruvian Seafood Restaurant

Lunch at Natalie Peruvian Restaurant

I'm sure everyone can relate to having show tickets and trying to figure out where to grab a bite to eat beforehand. That was my dilemma as I was rushing from work to meet a couple of friends and of course, on my way there, I got a call with the inevitable question, "Where should we eat?" Given that the show was at the Pantages Theater, which isn't too far from Thai Town, a Thai restaurant was the obvious choice, but for once, I wasn't in the mood for Asian food.

Still pondering options, I got off the Hollywood Boulevard exit and spotted a sign partially hidden behind a building that said Natalie Peruvian Seafood Restaurant. My tastebuds stood at attention. Thankfully, I also remember from the recesses of my mind reading some good reviews. Yes! I knew what was for dinner and directed my two theater buddies to meet me at the given address. Walking into Natalie Peruvian, the dining room was a rectangular room. It wasn't very big, but I really liked the bright red wood furniture.

More ...

Lunch at Natalie Peruvian Restaurant

Not wanting to linger too long, we placed our order right away. Anytime, I go to a Peruvian restaurant, I have to order a drink called a Chicha Morada, which is a drink made out of purple corn. The one at Natalie Peruvian was a bit too sweet, but still refreshing.

Lunch at Natalie Peruvian Restaurant

Corn was still on the books for our appetizer which was Cancha or simply, dry fried corn. The cancha were similar to corn nuts, but with a smoother texture. There wasn't anything special about the cancha, but it's a nice salty and savory way to start the meal.

Lunch at Natalie Peruvian Restaurant

For my entree, I went with the Pescado Sudado, which is a steamed filet of fish cooked with onions, tomatoes and touch of white wine and served with steamed rice. The fish was wonderful. It was delicate and moist. As for the sauce, when they said a touch of white wine, they meant it and that was a good thing. The wine added just the right amount of citrus notes to pair well with the tomato's acidity and it was yummy poured over my rice.

Lunch at Natalie Peruvian Restaurant

My two dining partners went for the Chicken Saltado and the Beef Saltado dish. The only difference between the two were the meats, but both were meats sauteed with onions, tomatoes and French fries, served with steamed rice. Both their plates were eaten clean. Enough said.

Lunch at Natalie Peruvian Restaurant

Lunch at Natalie Peruvian Restaurant

The service was also really nice. When we told our server that we had a show to catch, the food came out really quickly. Overall, I really enjoyed my meal at Natalie Peruvian and am looking forward to trying other items on their menu.

Natalie Peruvian Seafood Restaurant
5759 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028-6719
(323) 463-8340


Natalie Peruvian Seafood Rstrn on Urbanspoon

^

8 comments:

MyLastBite said...

I LOOOOVE Beef Saltado!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I wondered about this restaurant when I was in Thaitown for something else! Good to know it's worth a visit. I love stumbling upon places like this.

EatTravelEat said...

Such a great restaurant! I like the decorations inside the restaurant. It isn't all that often where there is a mat that has the restaurant's name on it, or a wall that has the restaurant's name on it! And the food looks and sounds great. The fish dish looks great with rice :). I am happy it is served alongside with it.

pleasurepalate said...

MyLastBite: It's hard to go wrong with sauteed French Fries

WC: It's those unexpected finds that are sometimes the most rewarding.

ETE: Natalie's really knows how to brand themselves. :)

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Abby,

Great review. :) Would you say it's your favorite Peruvian restaurant in L.A. so far?

pleasurepalate said...

EK: I've only been there once, so I need to visit it a few more times before I decide. :)

Ravenous Couple said...

Definitely good peruvian food here...since we live only a mile away...but you def. have to try Mo-Chica's!

pleasurepalate said...

RC: I've heard about Mo-Chica and am looking forward to trying the food out there. Thanks for the reminder! :)