Friday, March 05, 2010

Things I Learned From Being a Cupcake Judge at the Drink:Eat:Play Cupcake Challenge

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge

Thanks to an invitation from Dan Silberstein of Drink:Eat:Play Events, I got to be a Cupcake Judge for the 2010 Cupcake Challenge where 24 Cupcakeries offered 40 different cupcakes to win the hearts (and votes) of all the attendees. Having done the LA Chevy Cupcake Tour last December where 4 whole cupcakes almost did me in, I definitely wasn't sure how I was going to survive 40 mini ones and in the end, I actually only sampled 38. My method was simply to take one bite, write down some comments to myself and then move on to the next one. In the process, here are some random things I learned about myself.

More ...

I don't get the appeal of red velvet cupcakes.

I simply don't understand why people are so into red velvet cupcakes. Sure, the cake itself could be moist, which is a bonus, but there's really no distinguishable flavor to it. Usually, the only part I like about a red velvet cupcake is the cream cheese frosting and even then, I don't like it if it's too sweet. Interestingly enough, being able to try some variations of red velvet cupcakes one the same day at the Cupcake Challenge just solidified my feeling that red velvet cupcakes are just not for me. Check out some of the ones I tried below.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Jus Minis "Red Velvet Cupcake"

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Big Man Bakes "Red Velvet Cupcake"

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Southern Girl Desserts "Martha's Red Velvet Cupcake"

I really like floral-infused frosting on my cupcakes.

I think the only cupcakery that did something floral with their flavorings was Sugar Bliss Sweets. They brought Lavendar Vanilla and Rose Petal Cupcakes. Both of the frostings were killer. Unfortunately, the cupcakes themselves were dry. If this was a frosting challenge, they'd win with me, but the cupcakes still need a little more work.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Sugar Bliss Sweets: Rose Petal (Aromatic rose vanilla cake with
rose petal syrup, light frosting and candied rose petals)


Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Sugar Bliss Sweets: Lavender Vanilla (Lavender vanilla cake with
lavender and white chocolate frosting, dusted with lavender sugar)

I like my beer in a glass, not a cupcake.

Just like chocolates with liqueur fillings, the cupcakes that were beer-inspired were interesting, but just not to my personal taste. I thought the playfulness that probably came about from the creation of these cupcakes was cool, but there were other flavor combinations I liked better.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Meringue Bake Shop: Pigs on Tap (Chocolate Stout Cupcake
with Bacon Topped with Whiskey Bourbon Buttercream)


Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Speakeasy Sweets: Irish Bomb (Chocolate Guiness Cupcake Filled with
Irish Whiskey Chocolate Ganache topped with an Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting)

I think pumpkin cupcakes rock!

Of course, if the two pumpkin cupcakes I tried didn't taste good, I wouldn't be saying that they rocked; however, both the pumpkin cupcakes from Fairy Cakes Bakery and Blue Cupcake were very tasty! In fact, the pumpkin cupcake from Blue Cupcake was one of my favorites of the event.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Fairy Cakes Bakery: Pumpkin White Chocolate (Spiced pumpkin cupcake
embedded with white chocolate pieces, topped with cinnamon cream cheese frosting)


Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Blue Cupcake: Pumpkin (Pumpkin Bread Filled with Spiced Pumpkin Mousse
Topped with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and Pumpkin Seeds)


I'm not into super sweet cupcake frosting and or toppings.

I'm actually more of a savory, than a sweet person. If I was offered a bag of potato chips and a cupcake, I'd probably go for the potato chips. As such, I prefer cupcake frosting and/or toppings that aren't too much on the sugary side.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Frandise Pastries: Chewy Coconut Cupcake

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Layers Cupcakes: Chocolate Coconut Cupcake

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Sweet E's: (L) Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (R) Chocolate Vanilla Swirl

I think chocolate covered cupcakes are yummy.

I have to say that the first time I've ever seen chocolate dipped cupcakes were at this Cupcake Challenge and it definitely worked for me. It's almost like a gourmet version of a ding dong without the cream. I even liked a red velvet cupcake better just because of that chocolate coating.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Two Parts Sugar: Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Babycakes: Hot Chocolate Cupcake

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
The Cake Shop: Red Velvet Cupcake

I lean more towards non-traditional cupcakes.

You can probably already tell based on what I've written so far, but here's a few other cupcakes that I also really enjoyed sampling.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
My Delight Cupcakery: Key Lime Pie Cupcake (Pound cake stuffed
with key lime pie filling, topped with a light and fluffy slightly toasted meringue icing)


Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Blue Cupcake: Sweeet and Salty Vanilla (Vanilla Cake Filled with
Rich Caramel Topped with Vanilla and Salted Caramel Buttercream)


Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Jus Minis: Caramel Banana Cupcake

Overall, it was a fun event. The most interesting part for me was watching people come in with containers and bakery boxes so that they could take cupcakes home. Now that's smart thinking. Eat what you can and take the rest of home. Considering that there were 40 different cupcakes and it cost $40 to get in, $1 a cupcake is a pretty good deal. I'm not sure if I'd make a return trip next year, but at least, I'd be prepared.

As for the winners, they are as follows:

Best Traditional
1st Place: Big Man Bakes "Red Velvet"
2nd Place: Blue Cupcake "Sweet and Salty Vanilla"
3rd Place: Southern Girl Desserts "Red Velvet"

Best Original:
1st Place: My Delight Cupcakery "Breakfast Cake"
2nd Place: Jus Minis "Caramel Banana"
3rd Place: Two Parts Sugar "Chocolate Covered Strawberry"

Best Overall:
1st Place: Jus Minis "Caramel Banana"
2nd Place: My Delight Cupcakery "Breakfast Cake"
3rd Place: Two Parts Sugar "Chocolate Covered Strawberry"

Click here to check out more Drink:Eat:Play Events!

To end, here a few more cupcake photos to whet your appetite for the 2011 Cupcake Challenge.

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Polkatots: Little Penguin (Chocolate Cupcake with
Rich Vanilla Buttercream )


Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Hollywood Renaissance Hotel: Applewood Smoked Bacon Cupcake
(Canadian Maple Syrup Frosting, Fleur del Sel and Black Pepper)


Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Urban Sweets: Spiced Apple with Brown Sugar Cupcake

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Cupcakes Couture

Drink Eat Play Cupcake Challenge
Tavern Restaurant: Salted Caramel Cupcake





^

3 comments:

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves said...

So many cupcakes to try! Good thing you're more discerning than I would be! I'd just think everything was good!

pleasurepalate said...

It was insane eating all those cupcakes. I still can't look at a cupcake without feeling a bit queasy. lol

Louise said...

How much of each cupcake did you have to eat? The thought of even a small bite of 40 cupcakes sounds overwhelming. I agree with you about red velvet cupcakes - not my favorite.