Friday, February 13, 2009

Discover LA: Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels

Other than being a great foodie town, LA has much to offer and while this blog will still be primarily about my culinary experiences, I also wanted to share with you other things about LA that have definitely made me smile, think, chuckle, appreciate and so much more and hopefully, they'll also help you discover an LA you've never known before and may want to know better.

When I first heard about a Cathedral being built in Los Angeles, I admit to having visions of a Cathedral more baroque in regards to design and architectural style. So when I first saw pictures of the new cathedral, I thought it quite plain and uninteresting.

However, after taking a docent tour last year, I completely did a 180. The Cathedral is actually quite beautiful. Modern. Minimalist. The ornateness you normally associate with Cathedrals is definitely not there; yet, it's not missed.

I really love the clean lines, the interesting architectural shapes, the natural lighting that is filtered through alabaster windows inside the Cathedral. There's just something so calming about its simplicity in the form and feel of this space. I actually took over 100 pictures during this tour, so take a look below and hopefully, you'll find the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels as breathtaking as I did.

To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157594422244234/

Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
555 W Temple St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 680-5200

No comments: