Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm Willing to Drive for Taqueria Sanchez

After having just told you about my "love affair" with La Casita, you may think that I'm not so much into tacos, burritos, tostadas and other similar Mexican food offerings. Partially, it's because I'm just generally more drawn to a restaurant like La Casita that offers a variety of cooking styles and foods. The other reason is that I haven't really found a taqueria that impressed me enough to make me say "Wow." While I did luck out with Serrano's, a local eatery in the city I live in, considering how many taquerias are in town, there should be more choices, right? Guess what? I found one, Taqueria Sanchez and wouldn't you know it, it's on the Westside.

My friend has been telling me about Taqueria Sanchez for awhile now, but it wasn't until I was hanging out with her in Culver City that we were finally able to check it out for dinner. One of the things great about having a foodie friend is eating family-style and between the two of us, we ordered 4 different dishes.

First up was their Chicken Enchiladas, which I really enjoyed. The chicken was moist and tender and the red sauce that the tortillas were cooked in had a nice flavor to it. Although I could have done without as much sour cream, I liked how they were generous with the cotija cheese.

The second dish we shared was a Chorizo Taco. The chorizo was wonderfully spiced with a pepperiness that I liked and I appreciated the "thicker" tortillas.

When I saw the Al Pastor Pork Gordita, it reminded me of Pac Man. Pac Man aside, the pork had a great marinade to it and I really liked the pillowy; yet thick tortilla that the meat was stuffed in. The filling also included chopped onions and cotija cheese. Just add one of their fresh salsas and you have yourself quite a hearty meal.

Last were the Shrimp Tostadas. I've been to places where the shrimp is sometimes over-cooked to the point of being rubbery. These were cooked right, plus they tasted fresh and sweet as shrimp should taste like. A squeeze of lime was the perfect tangy addition.

Overall, when a girl wants to keep it simple, Taqueria Sanchez is definitely one of the places to hit up for simple Mexican food done right. Now if only they'd either move to or open up a second location in the Eastside. Either that or I'll just have to hang out with my friend more, which is no difficult feat.

To see pics, go to:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/sets/72157614239675705/

Taqueria Sanchez
4541 S. Centinela Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90066
(310) 822-8880


Taqueria Sanchez on Urbanspoon

No comments: